Saturday, January 24, 2009

Christian's Scout of Honor went smoothly. They asked us to bring some type of finger foods such as chips or cookies and to be honest, I'm tired of always having those things. I get it, they are trying to keep it simple and not have a need for forks, spoons and knives but really, there are other things. I decided I was going to make egg salad sandwiches, one of my specialties (thank you Mama!!) and some mini cupcakes. I know, cupcakes are still sweet but at least I balanced the sweet with the egg salad. Then I found out my parents were coming. I didn't even think to invite them. I blame my pregnancy brain. Truth is, my son is the only grandchild they have who is active in the church so anything he does within the church they are sure to be there for. They have other grandkids, lost of them, and they attend as many school and sports functions as they can but these church things are always especially sweet for them. More on my parents later. I made it through the Court of Honor without shedding a tear. Jason was a little disappointed. He loves to see me get emotional about small things, even though this isn't small. I have never been overly emotional about most things so he's really getting a kick out of me right now. I have to admit. I am so proud of my son and his accomplishments. He has learned how to handle a knife and the proper way to use one and he reecived his tenderfoot. (I'm ashamed to admit I don't really know what that means but Jason does and they do scouts together so I'll have to ask him.) My egg salad was gone! Everyone loved it. Especially Christian. I can't tell you how many little triangles he had but it was enough to fill him up.

My sister and I had lunch today and then went to my parents house. My niece Madi was there. My brother had a pipe burst at his house and understandably couldn't have Madi around. She is the sweetest little girl. I can only hope my daughter has a similar disposition. When Casey and I got to my parents house my parents were sitting at the kitchen table, dad holding Madi and mom feeding her. This is very typical at their house. They both jump right in and take care of her. I lost my paternal grandparents at a very young age and while we visited my maternal grandparents as often as possible, we weren't able to see them as much as my parents are able to see their grandkids. I have to admit, if I could choose a "type" of grandparent I would choose them. They love with everything they have. They are so concerned with every grandbaby and what they are doing. There isn't a day that goes by that they don't think about them or call to check on them or just generally need to be around them. I wonder if their grandkids know how lucky they are.

I just got a call from a neighbor of a brother of a friend (if you can follow that) and set up an appointment to go and look at her Beagle pups tomorrow after church. How exciting. They are 4 weeks old and will be ready to go to their new home in two weeks. Jason and I are still toying with the idea of getting a new puppy. I can't wait to meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I would love to hear from you. Don't forget to follow me so I can follow you!