Monday, July 6, 2009

Labor Pains?

It has been almost a month since I last blogged! I am finally taking the time to catch you up!

On May 14th at 9:00 AM Jason and I arrived at the hospital to begin our new adventure. I had been trying to mentally prepare myself for another C-Section but I just couldn't wrap my head around it. A little background......

November 10, 1996 - Doctors were really worried about me and Christian so they tried to induce my labor at 12:30 in the afternoon. It was a Sunday afternoon. After 12 hours of NOTHING Christian finally said, look guys, I like it in here and you are gonna have to open my mom up to get me out. So, on November 11, 1996 at 12:30 in the morning I was taken to the surgery room for an Emergency C-Section. Everything moved so quickly. They tried to give me an epidural. It didn't work. They layed me on the table and started to strap my arms down. I didn't know they did this. It really scared me. Then they put an oxygen mask on my face. I asked what that was for and they calmly told me it was to help me breathe. It's just air they told me. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a syringe looking thing coming at me. They attached it to the oxygen mask and put whatever was in it in the mask for me to breathe in. It STUNK! Before I could ask what the heck that was I was out and woke up with Christian's father showing me Christian's feetprint. They were so tiny. Christian weighed in a whopping a 2 pounds 6 ounces. At no point was a C-Section ever explained (not that I would have been able to keep my lunch down knowing what goes on) nor was the process of what I would go through before the C-Section ever explained. It was the epitome of an emergency!

Not knowing what to expect from a C-Section I was nervous, scared, restless, every emotion a person could feel. Well, except happy! I was terrified of getting a shot in my back but I was more terrified of being put under and Jason and I not being able to share the actual birth of our daughter together. So, on May 14th I got up, showered, even tried to fix my hair, and Jason and I were off to the hosiptal. I still can't believe I voluntarily checked myself in for surgery!!

I went in and was hooked up to the monitors and given my IV and asked soooo many questions. My C-Section was scheduled for 11 but my doctor got held up by something so they finally took me back to a surgery room at about 11:30. I had a really wonderful nurse from Scotland (so her and Jason had things to talk about). She leaned me over to help take the pressure off having the spinal block and before I knew it my legs were numb. My entire body from the chest down was numb. For a little while I didn't feel like I was breathing. It was simply a reaction to the numbing as I couldn't feel those muscles working so it felt like I wasn't breathing. After a couple of minutes of flailing around like an idiot complaining about not being able to breathe the anestesiologist put an oxygen mask over my face. I went CRAZY! All I could think was here we go again. They are about to put me under! I started BEGGING him to remove the mask and he promised me he would as soon as I could start breathing on my own. Miraculously I could breathe again. I calmly asked again if I could take the mask off and he removed it from my face. Doctor Hyler came in, asked how I was and said, let's get started. They made the first incision at 11:45. They do the incision then bring the father in. They do it this way to make sure the spinal block took because the father can't be in the surgery room if the patient is under. After the incision they let Jason in and he sat to the side of me. I'm not sure he said too much to me. I think he was a little surprised and caught off guard by everything that was going on. At 11:50 she was born. I can't tell you the feeling I had sweep through me when I heard that first cry. She was finally here! They cleaned her up and brought her around the blue sheet so I could see my sweet cheeks. She was heavenly. I kissed her cheeks and they took her to the nursery to weigh and measure her. Jason of course followed. Again, not even sure he said by. I know he said he was going with her and I called out as he was leaving to take care of her. From the moment she was born I had this need to be with her and take care of her. That hasn't gone away. It wasn't there that quickly with Christian but once it came, it too hasn't left. After putting me back together they took me to a recovery room.

They only allow 2 people in the recovery room at a time so when Casey came in the room with my brother Johnny, she was able to take a picture of me, Jason and Georgia. I so wish Christian could have been in the picture as well but at least we have this much.

We first let Christian come in and in the recovery room we asked Christian what he thought of the name Georgia. It was the first time we really mentioned it to him. He liked it so we said, good, that's her name! After Christian Jason asked our moms to come in. When they left Jason asked our Dads to come and then Casey and Johnny. JoJo was still at work so he came later on. After the recovery room they wheeled me into my maternity room.

Once in my room everyone came to visit. The nurses had taken Georgia to the nursery for a bit and as soon as she came back to the room with me I tried to nurse her. They suggested I spend as much time as possible "skin to skin" with her. Oh, like they really needed to tell me that! So I did!! And I still do!

Georgia is the most beautiful baby girl I have ever seen. But I'm not the first mother to think that! We can't all be right can we? Well, I KNOW I am!!


  1. YAY! Nice photos! You must have your own paparazzi following you around. :)

  2. It is really nice to hear your story of her birth. She really is a little darling. I am so sad that we missed being there when she was blessed. Just know that we were there in spirit :)

  3. Congrats! She's adorable! I can't believe how big Christian is now!


Please leave a comment, I would love to hear from you. Don't forget to follow me so I can follow you!